Heat Rises (Nikki Heat #3) (audiobook) by Richard Castle



Surprised and impressed!

Performed by Johnny Heller
Duration: 11 hours, 15 minutes
Published 2011 by Hyperion Audio

I freely admit that when I got this audiobook I was not expecting much. The premise behind the whole series is an inside joke to begin with since this is supposed to be the books written by an author in the fictional television series Castle. So, I am reading about a fictional character in the books of a fictional author based upon the life of another fictional character in a TV show. It pretty much hurts my brain to think about it - like an Escher painting gone bad.

So, I got the audiobook and figured that, if nothing else, this could be good for a laugh. My original instincts were reinforced when I noted that the main character is named Nikki Heat (like a character in a bad 80's Stallone movie or something) and, of course, she is physically stunning as well as being the best detective in her squad.


Actor Nathan Fillion as fictional 
author Richard Castle
But, as I listened I warmed to the characters. The case was interesting, the characters all have distinct and interesting personalities and the book knows how to be both funny and dramatic. This book pulled me in and had me looking forward to the chance to get in the car and listen to it as I made my daily commute. I expected little and got an interesting, action-packed case with plenty of drama and humor.

In Heat Rises New York City detective Nikki Heat is assigned to the case of a local parish priest who is found dead in the torture room of a local bondage club. As the case progresses, her mentor and boss, Captain Montrose intervenes in ways that cause Heat to doubt his intentions. Add in a local group with ties to a Latin American terror group, a CIA-affiliated contractor with a history of human rights abuses and multiple attempts on Heat's life and you have the recipe for a successful bit of escapist fun.

This book is truly performed by Johnny Heller who makes all of the characters seem unique by creating a diverse amount of accents and voices for dozens of characters, including changing his pitch and pacing. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and his work on this audiobook stands out.

I rate this audiobook 5 stars out of 5.

This audiobook can be found on Amazon.com here: Heat Rises by Richard Castle.

Reviewed on December 3, 2011.

FTC Full Disclosure - this work was sent to me by the publisher so that I could review it. The review, however, is my honest opinion and was not influenced by being sent a free copy.

Comments

Popular posts over the last 30 days

MARCH: BOOK ONE (graphic novel) by John Lewis and Andrew Aydin

FAHRENHEIT 451 (audiobook) by Ray Bradbury

VANISHING EDGE (National Parks Mysteries #1) (audiobook) by Claire Kells

TIRED of WINNING: DONALD TRUMP and the END of the GRAND OLD PARTY (audiobook) by Jonathan Karl

DARK of the MOON (Virgil Flowers #1)(audiobook)(abridged) by John Sandford

THE JOURNEY in BETWEEN: THRU-HIKING EL CAMINO de SANTIAGO (Thru-Hiking Adventures book 1) (kindle) by Keith Foskett

BASS REEVES: TALES of the TALENTED TENTH, no. 1 by Joel Christian Gill

DIFFER WE MUST: HOW LINCOLN SUCCEEDED in a DIVIDED AMERICA (audiobook) by Steve Inskeep

INCREDIBLE HULK: PLANET HULK written by Greg Pak, illustrated by Carlo Pagulayan, Aaron Lopresti, Juan Santacruz, Gary Frank, and Takeshi Miyazawa.

THE MAGA DIARIES: MY SURREAL ADVENTURES INSIDE THE RIGHT-WING (and HOW I GOT OUT) (audiobook) by Tina Nguyen